THE TOP LIST TO 3D EDUCATION FOR 2021
Published by Dustin Valkema from PRO EDU
Whether you're just learning the basics of CGI or have been in this space for some time, it can be challenging to find good resources and training throughout your journey. At PRO EDU, we aim to make these experiences a bit easier, including the training we offer and making it easier to find other helpful training and resources. In this video, Dustin Valkema breaks down some of his favorites in online training platforms and websites he uses for finding 3D resources.
Ethical Notice:No resources or companies have paid to be in this list and we receive ZERO affiliate revenue (none, nothing, zilch) from any of the links below. We post these resources because we believe in them, we use them, and we think they are useful. Some of the resources, training, and objects below are our own products, which we hope you find useful. Your support helps us make more content like this and additional advanced training tutorials and courses. THANKS!
THE ULTIMATE GUIDE TO STARTING OUT
Below you will find an ever-growing list of links that will take you to all of the video's discussed sources. You will find multiple links to both free and paid resources for various 3D software. If you're into 3D animation, 3D modeling, motion graphics, CGI product photography, or visual effects, these sources can help tremendously. We view this as the best CGI tutorials and resources of 2021 and beyond because this will be a living document that will only grow over time!
"CGI Models and resources like textures are just like a Photographer investing in their gear bag. They are all tools to help you get thejob done in the mostefficient manner with the best possible result. CGI artists invest in digital assets and training like photographers invest in studio gear except it's a lot cheaper...... and there'sinfinite ways to use them.
— GARY MARTIN Founder Pro EDU
If you're working in 3D, having a library of assets is a must. This helps cut down the time of creation when building projects. Oftentimes you can avoid grueling modeling tasks by using 3D models, free or paid. Check out our list below for some of Dustin's favorite sources on the web for 3D models.
PRO EDU Studio Assets: https://proedu.com/pages/3d-objects-for-photographers
TEXTURES AND MATERIALS
Having great textures and materials is vital when working in 3D. Regardless of whether you're working towards photoreal CGI or going for more of a stylized approach. Luckily, there are thousands of great resources for textures and material packs for nearly every 3D software out there. The links below will take you to some of Dustin's favorites!
Texture Haven https://texturehaven.com/textures/
CC0 Textures https://cc0textures.com/categories
CG Bookcase https://www.cgbookcase.com/
3D Textures https://3dtextures.me/
3D Assets One https://www.3dassets.one/
Quixel Megascans https://quixel.com/megascans
RD Textures https://www.rd-textures.com/
The Pixel Lab https://www.thepixellab.net/products
Greyscale Gorilla https://greyscalegorilla.com/product-category/material-collections/
Substance Suite https://www.substance3d.com
HDRI's make lighting nearly any environment in 3D space quick and easy. Not only can these maps be used alone, but they can also provide a tremendous ambient base for a scene with lighting and or reflections to build upon.
HDRI Haven https://hdrihaven.com/hdris/
Greyscale Gorilla https://greyscalegorilla.com/product-category/hdri/
HDRI Skies https://hdri-skies.com/
HDR Maps https://hdrmaps.com/freebies/
Though most 3D software has its own built-in rendering systems, you'll often want to use a much faster and or better-looking render engine for your needs. Below is a list of significant render engines, both GPU and CPU-based, that produce outstanding results.
Before we get to cover the primary 3D software and tutorials, here's a list of fantastic software that can be used in conjunction with these. Of course, they'll have their own links to training over time!
Marvelous Designer https://www.marvelousdesigner.com/
Substance Suite https://www.substance3d.com/
CGI TRAINING SOFTWARE
With the wealth of knowledge on the web, check out the links below for software-specific training. While much of the 3D software these days does the same thing, many have great tools for specific needs or workflows. It's not wrong to learn the fundamentals of one software and then watch inspiring training from another. Having a broad range of knowledge of various tools can help you know exactly what tools you may want or need for a job. We'll be updating these lists with various plugins over time!
- Maxon VFX https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCWhRfxKSqHU8hjx7mbmKVxA
- PRO EDU: https://www.youtube.com/proedututorials/
- Greyscale Gorilla https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC64Z_7asrekIkc5h2v5tnHw
- Eyedesyn https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjvsD9ZJRshsmhabFFUH7aA
- School Of Motion https://www.youtube.com/c/Schoolofmotion/videos
- CG Shortcuts https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjsFn111Z8R4eKuRpPz4ZuA
- Arthur Whitehead https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC57vAHlfNkcz8aIhRdZrVNQ
- Sean Dove https://www.youtube.com/c/SeanDove/videos
- Elemenza https://www.youtube.com/c/MarioBrajdic/videos
- PRO EDU https://proedu.com/products/intro-to-cgi-for-photographers
- Certification C4D Course: https://proedu.com/products/cgi-for-photographers-6-week-course-software-certification-spring-2021
- Cineversity https://www.cineversity.com/
- Greyscalegorilla https://greyscalegorilla.com/
- Helloluxx https://helloluxx.com/
- LFO Design https://lfodesign.com/
- School Of Motion https://www.schoolofmotion.com/
- MotionPunk Patreon https://www.motion-punk.com
- Arthur Whitehead Patreon https://www.patreon.com/arthurwhitehead
- David Ariew http://arievvisuals.com/
MORE CGI SOFTWARE RESOURCES
Great Blender YouTube Channels
- Blender Guruhttps://www.youtube.com/user/AndrewPPrice
- CG Geekhttps://www.youtube.com/channel/UCG8AxMVa6eutIGxrdnDxWpQ
- Grant Abbithttps://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZFUrFoqvqlN8seaAeEwjlw
- Blender HDhttps://www.youtube.com/channel/UCatamfbt5w18LusUifPsIXQ
- CG Cookiehttps://www.youtube.com/c/CGCookieBlender/videos
- Ian Huberthttps://www.youtube.com/c/mrdodobird/videos
- Maya Learning Channelhttps://www.youtube.com/c/MayaHowTos/videos
- Maya Tutorialshttps://www.youtube.com/c/MrMorpheus605/videos
- Maya Guyhttps://www.youtube.com/c/MayaGuytutorials/videos
- JL Mussihttps://www.youtube.com/channel/UCG2srhdMHCa4OofVCbcwRXg
- Autodesk Academyhttps://academy.autodesk.com/software/maya
- CG Master Academyhttps://www.cgmasteracademy.com/courses/53-intro-to-maya
- The Gnomon Workshophttps://www.thegnomonworkshop.com/tutorials?tags=maya
- Autodesk 3ds Max Learning Channelhttps://www.youtube.com/channel/UClS3gPxzFYgTUz6JOIruyqA
- Architectural Visualizationhttps://www.youtube.com/c/ArchitecturalVisualization/videos
- Arrimus 3Dhttps://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLxt9ZAGPLIpeB8TcHrpzxvEI4Ve3SfZBC
- Nino Silvahttps://www.youtube.com/channel/UC16Hy0D3KBn9xeMyL7jQAjw
- Margarita Nikitahttps://www.youtube.com/channel/UCrciY0uqrTunhuaneWkxRiQ/videos
- Photo Botshttps://www.youtube.com/c/PhotoBots/videos
- 3D Traininghttps://www.3dtraining.com/3dsmax.aspx
- Autodesk Design Academyhttps://academy.autodesk.com/software/3ds-max
- Pixologic Zbrushhttps://www.youtube.com/channel/UCEh_IoMVGA7NPsx6-2H8Bqw
- Flipped Normalshttps://www.youtube.com/channel/UCQQFz2LkJMoqSFTas-oozOw
- Michael Pavlovichhttps://www.youtube.com/channel/UCWiZI2dglzpaCYNnjcejS-Q
- Yan Sculptshttps://www.youtube.com/channel/UCfjswDVU0XHyBN7UFG0Mi5Q
- Zbrush Tutshttps://www.youtube.com/channel/UCPvvGG_-3HtdlXznmgvDYKw/videos